Samsung has stepped up the game a bit when it introduced two new premium midrangers – the 2017 Galaxy A7 and A5. The company did bring some flagship features in to the midrange arena that could give some advantage when you are looking for your next phone.
We were able to spend some good amount of time with the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 as we used it as a daily driver for two weeks. Read on to find out if this is a good phone for you.
Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017):
- 1.9GHz octa core Exynos 7880 processor
- Mali T830MP2 graphics
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal memory expandable via microSD up to 256GB
- 5.2-inch Full HD Super AMOLED display (1080 x 1920 pixels) with Always On Display
- Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- IP68 certified – dust proof and water resistant up to 1.5 meters and 30 minutes
- 16 megapixel rear facing camera f/1.9 aperture with autofocus and LED flash
- 16 megapixel front facing camera
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 4G/LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, Fingerprint Scanner
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- 3,000 mAh battery with fast battery charging
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Price – P19,990
- Status: Available in Samsung Experience Stores and retailers
DESIGN AND HARDWARE
The overall look of the hardware is very reminiscent of the Samsung Galaxy S7 with its curved sides at the back and the use of glass and metal for its chassis. It does look like Samsung 2016 flagship.
Ports and buttons:
- Top – SIM 2 tray and microsd card slot and noise cancelling microphone
- Bottom – USB cable, microphone and 3.5mm audio jack
- Left – volume rockers and SIM 1 tray
- Right – power button and speaker grill
- Back – 16 megapixel camera with flash
- Front – two capacitive buttons, physical home button/fingerprint scanner, 5.2-inch display, sensors and 16 megapixel selfie camera
It is a nice welcome for us that the speaker grill is on the left side of the device and not on the usual bottom part. This means it wont be easily be covered when playing games or watching videos.
Since it is a Samsung, expect a mind blowing display here and it won’t disappoint. It does come in Full HD and not Quad HD from the flagship Galaxy S7 but it is still very bright when it needs to be and very dim when inside a cinema.
SOFTWARE AND PERFORMANCE
Software is a typical Samsung flare with its own UI on top with flat but a bit cartoonish look of icons. Sometimes, a heavily skinned UI results to sluggish performance. But Samsung has already proved a skinned UI can transcend into a smooth performance.
Samsung placed its home brewed Exynos 7880 chipset inside paired with 3GB RAM. The chipset handled games very well even with RAM hogging games.
One gripe is the phone is still in Android 6.0 Marshmallow and based on Samsung track record, the company only updates their Galaxy S series and Galaxy Note series to the latest software for two years. We are not so sure if the Galaxy A5 2017 will get the latest update.
We have two 16 megapixel sensor front and back. Both cameras did not disappoint. Whether photos taken in low light, good lighting, indoors, both cameras perform very well. All photos you are about to see are taken in auto mode. Check it out!
All connectivity features comes standard – WiFi, Bluetooth, 4G/LTE, and Fingerprint Scanner. Internet has been within normal speeds and signal reception has been fine. Calls are clear with no issues. Fingerprint Scanner works fine and unlocks the phone very quick.
The 3,000 mAh battery is just the right size for the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017. We managed to get a solid two-day battery life with moderate use which is very impressive. On our battery drain test via video looping, we managed to get around 4 hours and 40 mins of screen on time. Charging the phone is also blazing fast. From 5% to 100% we achieved around 1 hour and 15 minutes.
We love everything about the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017. The only thing we hate is its still in Android 6.0 Marshmallow and we are not sure if this device will be updated to Android 7.0 Nougat. Camera is great, software experiece is great, design is great but the question is – will you buy a P19,990 smartphone?
Please do let us know your thoughts at the comments below!
- Hardware – 10
- Design – 10
- Display – 10
- Software – 9
- Camera – 9
- Connectivity – 9
- Battery – 10