The ASUS Zenfone 3 series is the new talk of the town in the local tech world. Long time ASUS fans have been looking forward to the launch since it was first announced in May 2016. This is the first time that ASUS embraced metal and glass material for their smartphones. They’ve also leveled up when it comes to specs especially the ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe in which we are drooling to review. We have here is the 5.5-inch ASUS Zenfone 3. Let’s take it out of the box!
ASUS Zenfone 3 (5.5-inch)
- 2.0GHz Octa Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor
- Adreno 506 graphics
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB internal memory expandable via MicroSD up to 256GB
- 5.5-inch Full HD IPS LCD display (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 16 megapixel rear facing camera with TriTech Autofocus system, 4-axis OIS, 3-Axis EIS and dual LED flash
- 8 megapixel front facing camera
- 4G/LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, Fingerprint scanner
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- 3,000 mAh battery with Fast Charging Technology
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow with ZenUI 3.0
- Price: P18,995
- Status: Available at ASUS stores and retailers
We don’t normally mention anything about the package since we are very excited to take the goodies out of the box. But this time, we would like to commend ASUS for a very well packaged ASUS Zenfone 3. The box looks elegant and the presentation of how you take the phone out and checking out the other goodies feels very elegant. In simple terms, we had a blast unboxing it.
What’s inside the box?
- ASUS Zenfone 3 unit
- USB Type C cable
- Fast charging wall adapter
- Earphones with extra earbuds
- SIM card ejector (not shown in photo)
Now let’s head on with the device itself. Well, it is gorgeous piece of hardware. This shiny gold variant is so elegant that when we placed it on a table in a coffee shop, everybody was glancing on it. One barista asked us, ” Is that the new Zenfone 3?”. When we said yes, she got really excited to asked us if she can just explore it a bit. It is indeed an attention grabber we must say. 🙂
Moving on, we think that ASUS got some inspiration from Samsung’s Galaxy S6 of last year. It is not a direct lookalike but some design cues are present. Honestly it is not a bad thing since the Galaxy S6 is a well designed device.
Ports and buttons check:
- Left – Dual SIM card tray with SIM 1 being the hybrid SIM slot and microSD card slot
- RIght – Power and volume rocker
- Bottom – USB Type C port, Speaker Grill and microphone
- Top – 3.5mm headset jack
- Back – 16 megapixel camera, dual LED flash, IR blaster and fingerprint scanner
- Front – 5.5-inch display, three capacitive buttons, sensors, 8 megapixel selfie camera
Upon first boot up, we were greeted by a software update in which we downloaded. After setting up and installing our social media apps, we were greeted by a cleaner ZenUI in which . Just like what HTC did to the HTC 10, many ASUS homebrewed apps are gone. Say like the calendar app is just Google Calendar and the messaging app is just Google Messenger.
We are now excited to take the ASUS Zenfone 3 for a spin! Review duration will be two weeks. If you can’t wait for our full review and you intend to buy one, go ahead and be blown away! 🙂