Before the 2015 ends, Starmobile announced its LTE capable budget smartphone, the Starmobile UP Ultra. It took us a while to secure a review unit since according to our friends from Starmobile, demand is very high for this particular handset. For thos who are waiting for a review, well, here it is. But for now, we can only give you the unboxing and our first impressions.
Starmobile UP Ultra:
- 1.3GHz quad core Mediatek MT6735 processor
- Mali T720 MP2 graphics
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB internal storage expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 5.5-inch HD On cell IPS LCD display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- 13 megapixel rear facing Samsung camera with autofocus and LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 4G/LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, Infrared Sensor
- GPS, A-GPS
- 2,500 mAh battery
- Android 5.1 Lollipop
- SRP: P6,999
- Status: Available at Starmobile stores and kiosks
What’s inside the box?
- Starmobile UP Ultra unit
- Smart Super Pack SIM
- USB cable
- Wall Adapter
- Clear case – not shown in the photo
Our first reaction when we saw the Starmobile UP Ultra for the first time is it resembles some of HTC’s past smartphones that we cannot remember the exact model. Then we turn to the back and we instantly fell in love with the faux leather. We also love this particular grayish blue color too. At first we thought it was a 5-inch display but when we look at the specs sheet, it actually sports a 5.5-inch display. It looks smaller thanks to its very thin bezels and narrow top and bottom chin.
Ports and buttons check:
- Left – nothing
- Right – Power button and volume rockers
- Bottom – Speaker grill and microphone
- Top – 3.5mm headset jack, USB charging port and Infrared Sensor
- Back – 13 megapixel camera with flash
- Front – 5.5-inch display, 5 megapixel front camera and sensors
The Smart Super Pack SIM included in the package is LTE ready and comes with P4,000 worth of data for a year which is equivalent to 700MB worth of data every month and FREE iflix subscription for 6 months.
We already tested the Starmobile UP Ultra’s LTE capabilities and so far our Smart SIM has good LTE reception. We will be using this as our daily driver for two weeks. For now, we are very impressed with its hardware and superb LTE connectivity.