We visited the Samsung Experience Store in SM Aura a few days ago and we were able to get some hands on with other Samsung smartphones which was recently announced. Here’s the Samsung Galaxy J5. a selfie centric affordable smartphone aimed to compete with local and Chinese brands with the same price point.
Samsung Galaxy J5:
- 1.2GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor
- 1.5GB RAM
- 8GB internal storage expandable via MicroSD up to 128GB
- 5-inch HD TFT display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- 13 megapixel rear facing camera with autofocus and LED flash (f/1.9 aperture)
- 5 megapixel front facing camera (f/2.2 aperture)
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 3G/HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS Beidou
- 2,600 mAh battery
- Android 5.1 Lollipop with TouchWiz UI
- SRP: P9,990
- Status: Available at Samsung Experience Stores and retailers
The Samsung Galaxy J5 looks like every other Galaxy smartphones we’ve seen. Since it is a mid range smartphone, you won’t see glass and metal chassis here but instead it made of usual plastic. Don’t get us wrong, we are fans of plastic chassis on a smartphone as long as it not a flagship one. The back cover is removable and so as the battery. We have no issues with is hardware but one gripe we have is the shiny fake metal side trim which prone to fingerprints and smudges.
Samsung has also toned down the TouchWiz UI with less bloatware just like what they’ve done with their flagship smartphones. Overall experience is smooth with no issues of lags. The unit we tested is full of games running on the background and still no lags. The Galaxy J5 has two variants and the one Samsung is selling in the country is the 3G only version. It also has a larger 2,600 mAh battery so expect this smartphone can hold up for a full day.
We will try to get one for review but based on our hands on, we are very impressed.