When we were first got the news about the announcement of the Starmobile Up Max and saw the specs, we really got excited. A large battery, Digital TV and an Android Lollipop smartphone all in one device. Our friends from Starmobile sent us a review unit. Let’s unbox this, shall we?
Starmobile Up Max:
- 1.3GHz Quad Core Mediatek MT6582M processor
- Mali 400MP2 graphics
- 1GB RAM
- 16GB internal memory expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 5-inch HD IPS LCD display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- 13 megapixel rear facing Sony Exmor IMX 135 camera with BSI sensor, autofocus and LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera
- Dual SIM (regular + micro) Dual Standby
- 3G/HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth, ISDB-T TV tuner
- GPS, A-GPS
- 5,000 mAh Li-Po battery
- Android 5.0 Lollipop
- SRP: P7,490
- Status: Available at Starmobile stores, kiosks and retailers
What’s inside the box?
- unit itself
- USB cable
- cable antenna for DTV
- case cover
- two screen protectors
The Up Max has a similar design of the past Starmobile smartphones we’ve reviewed like Jump Neo. We just noticed that the Up Max is thicker due to its huge battery. Nonetheless, it is comfortable to hold with one hand.
Let’s check the button and port placements – volume rockers on the left, power/lock button on the right, 3.5mm headset jack at the top, speaker grill and USB charging port at the buttom, the 13 megapixel rear camera and dual LED flash at the back and the 5-inch display, 5 megapixel camera and sensors at the front.
We noticed that there’s no antenna on the device but instead Starmobile include a cable antenna for DTV in the package. In order for the DTV to work, you have to insert the cable antenna on the 3.5mm headset jack.
The Up Max is running Android 5.0 Lollipop out of the box and we find no issues so far when it comes to performance. We will be using this as a daily driver for a week or two. Please do wait for our full review with video.