We were able to get a hands on with Microsoft’s new smartphone, the Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM which was launched a few days ago. Microsoft continues to focus on the mid range and entry level markets in its efforts to get more share of the pie.
Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM
- 1.2GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor
- Adreno 305 graphics
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB internal strorage expandable via MicroSD up to 128GB
- 5.7-inch HD IPS LCD display (1280 x 720 pixels) 259 ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 13 megapixel rear facing camera with Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus and LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera
- HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth, NFC
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- 3,000 mAh battery
- Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
- SRP: P11,990
- Status: Available at Nokia stores (soon to be Microsoft Stores) and retailers
Design is very typical for a Lumia device – made with colorful polycarbonate. It is available in four colors – cyan, orange, white and black. All colors have the soft matte finish which we love except for the white variant which has the glossy finish. Lumias are not known for its thin and sexy aesthetics so you’ll notice it is a little thicker and bigger than any smartphone with the same screen size. Luckily it is not heavy. It feels like the same weight of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
It been a while since we reviewed a Windows Phone device and we are happy to report that the Denim update made some improvements on the UI especially on the settings menu. Our adoration with Windows Phone remains unchanged because of its simplicity and free from lags and stutters. Everything is buttery smooth from basic to heavy tasks.
We can’t comment much on the 3,000 mAh battery since we only had a few minutes with the device. But we are pretty sure the battery can last a full day.
We love it! We do love the size of the screen too! The price also compels us to buy. Actually we are already using a Nokia Lumia 830 late last year but we gave it up because we are waiting for a capable Microsoft-branded smartphone. We are hoping to review one very soon.