Looking for an affordable flagship smartphone? Then the Meizu MX4 and the Starmobile Knight X should be on your top list. Meizu announced the MX4 a few months ago and it is currently available on Novo7 Tech stores and kiosks with limited stocks. The Starmobile Knight X, however, was announced by Starmobile in November 2014. It is not yet available as of this writing but according to our friends from Starmobile, it will be available within this month. Let’s take a look at their specs.
- Octa Core Mediatek MT6595 processor (2.2GHz Quad Core Cortex A17 and 1.7GHz Quad Core Cortex A7)
- PowerVR G6200 graphics
- 2GB RAM
- 16/32GB internal memory
- 5.36-inch Full HD IPS LCD display (1920 x 1080 pixels) 418 ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Aircraft-grade aluminum frame
- 20.7 megapixel rear facing Sony IMX 220 camera with Exymor RS BSI sensor, autofocus and dual tone LED flash
- 2.1 megapixel front facing camera
- LTE, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, USB OTG
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, QZSS
- 3,100 mAh battery
- Android 4.4 Kitkat with Flyme UI 4.0
- SRP: P14,990 (16GB version) and P16,990 (32GB version)
- Status: Available with limited stocks at Novo7 Tech stores
Related article – Meizu MX4 Short Hands On
Starmobile Knight X:
- Octa Core Mediatek MT6595M processor (2GHz quad core Cortex A17 and 1.7GHz Quad Core Cortex A7)
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage
- 5.5-inch Full HD IPS LCD display (1080 x 1280 pixels)
- scratch resistant glass
- 13 megapixel rear facing Sony IMX135 camera with autofocus and LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera
- Dual SIM (Micro + Nano SIM), Dual Standby and DUAL LTE
- LTE , HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth
- NFC, USB OTG, Infrared Port
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- 3,350 mAh battery
- Android 4.4 Kikat
- SRP: P15,990
Related article – Starmobile Knight X Short Hands On
HARDWARE AND DESIGN:
These smartphones part ways when it comes to design. The Starmobile Knight X has sharp edges while the Meizu MX4 has rounded corners. We managed to get a hold both devices during their launch and we must say that the MX4 is more desirable to hold thanks to its rounded iPhone 3Gs-like shape. The MX4 has a better build quality too with its aircraft grade aluminum frame.
Both displays sport a full HD resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels and of IPS LCD type. On paper, the MX4 has a better resolution due its smaller 5.36-inch display compared to the Knight X’s 5.5-inch display. But looking at them, you’ll not notice which has the better screen quality.
SOFTWARE AND PERFORMANCE:
We saw both phones in action. And we must say it is hard to decide which is better between the two when it comes to performance. We must have a longer hands on time with them first. But we did a lot of research and read reviews from American tech blogs like Android Authority. According to them, Meizu’s custom UI, Flyme, is buggy and laggy despite having a powerful processor. The Starmobile Knight X, however, runs on vanilla Android. We never encountered any lags during our very short time with it. The Knight X’s bigger 3GB RAM is also better for gaming.
We never tested both cameras during their launch but on paper, the Meizu MX4 has a beefier 20.7 megapixel camera from Sony compared to the 13 megapixel camera of the Starmobile Knight X. We have yet to test the camera performance on both smartphones in order to give our verdict.
The Starmobile Knight X has a larger 3,350 mAh battery while the Meizu MX4 has a 3,100 mAh battery. We think both phones will last you a day on heavy usage. Battery performance will be tie here even if the MX4 has s smaller battery since this phone has a smaller display too.
Both phones have LTE connecitivity but one big advantage of the Knight X is the dual SIM functionality. Both sim slots are LTE capable which means you switch between your Globe and Smart SIMs if one network has a slower connection.
The decision whether to pick the MX4 or the Knight X will be up to you. We also think that both phone will appeal to different people since they have different design language. But if you are after a better camera, pick the MX4. If you are after better gaming performance, get the Knight X.
Anyway, if you already own one of these phones, please do share you experience with us.