OnePlus has just announced their newest flagship, the OnePlus One. Wait! What the heck is it and what is OnePlus? Why is it making so much buzz on the internet?
OnePlus is a new Chinese smartphone maker founded on December 17, 2013 with headquarters in Hong Kong and Shenzen. The company was founded by Peter Lau, former Vice President of Oppo. OnePlus aims to offer smartphones with killer specs but with an affordable price. This new company impressed us as it will launch its new smartphone GLOBALLY and that includes us.
The OnePlus One is their first smartphone. It aims to compete with Google’s Nexus 5 in terms of pricing. The phone runs on a new version of an operating system called CYANOGENMOD, an open source operating system based on Android. Technically, it is running Android 4.4 Kitkat but Cyanogenmod offers features not available on ordinary Android.
OnePlus One specs:
- 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor
- Adreno 330 graphics
- 3GB RAM
- 16/64GB internal memory, no expandable storage
- 5.5-inch Full HD IPS LCD display (1080 x 1920 pixels) 401 ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 13 megapixel rear facing Sony IMX214 camera with autofocus and dual LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera
- LTE, WiFi, WiFi Direct, WiFi Hotspot, DLNA, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, USB OTG (On-The-Go)
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- 3,100 mAh Li-Po battery
- CyanogenMod 11s (based on Android 4.4 Kitkat
The OnePlus One is priced at $299 (around P13,000) for the 16GB model while the 64GB variant is at $350 (around P15,000). That’s the same price as the Google Nexus 5! It will be available first in the US then followed by some countries and Europe including Hong Kong and Taiwan in Q2 2014. More countries will follow soon.
Here is a of the hands on video from international blog Android Authority