The need for a better internet connection especially if you’re on the go has become a serious necessity. What’s disappointing is that WiFi access is still very limited and WiFi connection in some areas like malls, office coffee shops, hang out areas are sometimes paid and most of the time crappy. No wonder why LTE pocket WiFi devices remains to be a hot item.
We got to admit, Smart’s LTE network remains to be superior and has better coverage. But our Smart subscription is used mainly for internet and not calls and texts like on our Globe subscription. So we decided to ditch our back smartphone (which Smart is inserted) and bought a Smart Bro LTE Pocket WiFi.
The LTE pocket WiFi we bought is an Alcatel One Touch Y800. It surprised us since we are used to see Huawei-made pocket WiFi devices being offered by Smart.
Alcatel One Touch Y800 (Smart Bro LTE Pocket WiFi) specs:
- LTE Band 800/900/1800/2100 Mhz
- 3G Band 900/1800/2100 Mhz
- 2G Band 850/900/1800/1900 Mhz
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz
- 1,500 mAh battery
The package comes with a dock (nice touch), USB, Adapter and two 1,500 mAh batteries. We do love the extra battery which means the device can take an extra mile. Upon seeing the device for the first time, it looks like a phone from the early 2000’s. Hehehe. It really big since we are used to small mobile broadband devices. It is pocketable and very light though.
We’ve have been using this device for 3 weeks now including the days that we were in Davao City for a vacation and here’s our take.
- It sends out pretty strong WiFi signal! We placed the device on a closed room at the 2nd floor then our smartphone at the ground floor about 10 meters away. Our phone is still getting about two bars of WiFi signal.
- Idiot proof set up. Setting up the device is a breeze. You do need a laptop or desktop for the initial set up.
- Forgot your passoword? There’s a reset button at the back near the battery. You just have to take off the back cover first.
- Of course, we’ve experienced Smart blazing fast LTE connection! Although LTE areas are still limited, 3G and HSPA+ connection remains fast too.
- The only downside is the battery. Now we understand why Smart included an extra 1,500 mAh battery. The battery lasted 5 hours before it screams to be recharged. But since we have two batteries, we have 10 hours of LTE goodness!
The Smart Bro LTE Pocket WiFi is priced P4,888 if you opt for a prepaid subscription. You can also get a postpaid subscription from Plan 1299, 1749 to 3,500 with 24-month lock up period. For more information, please click here.