Smartphones with impressive specs are getting more affordable this year. Normally, we usually get a 5-inch phone with a quad core processor and a 12 megapixel camera at more than P10,000 price point. Now, local branded smartphones are pricing it below 10k. The Starmobile Diamond S1 is one of them. At P8,990, you get pretty decent specs on a 5-inch display. Before I give out my first impressions here is a quick unboxing.
- Unit itself
- 2,000 mAh battery
Starmobile Diamond S1 specs:
- 1.3GHz Quad Core MediaTek MT6572M processor
- Mali 400MP graphics
- 1GB RAM
- 4GB internal usage expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 5-inch qHD LCD display (960 x 540 pixels) 220ppi
- Asahi Dragontrail scratch resistant glass
- 12 megapixel rear facing camera with Back Side Illumination, autofocus and LED flash
- 3 megapixel front facing camera
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby, Dual 3G
- HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth 2.0
- GPS, A-GPS
- 2,000 mAh Li-Po battery
- Android 4.2 Jellybean
- Of course the first thing I noticed is the design. The device is very slim and compact. I always love the soft matte finish at the back of the device. Two thumbs up for the hardware!
- The phone has two sim slots – a regular sim and a micro sim. Good thing both slots are 3G/HSPA+ capable.
- Upon opening the device, I was surprised how the display is so bright and vivid despite the fact that it only has qHD display. At first I thought it was on HD (720 x 1280). Nice job Starmobile!
- Starmobile had some few customization on the UI which I personally like. Its like a combination of an older version of HTC Sense UI and Samsung’s Touchwiz
- So far no lags and no stutters but we will put the phone to the test as I download my favorite games and Antutu Benchmark app.
- Calls are clear and according to the other end of it, my voice is also clear.
Inital Verdict: Very impressed! The display looks really good combined with good hardware design and build quality
I will be testing everything from the battery, camera, performance, and gaming. I am now using the Starmobile Diamond S1 as my daily driver. Full review will be posted within this week