Smartphones with full view display or more popular with 18:9 aspect ratio screens is the new thing for 2017 in the world of tech. It has first seen in TVs then laptops and now, smartphones. Earlier this year, flagship smartphones have adopted this new display configuration and now midrange smartphones.
As for OPPO’s latest offering, this has a 6-inch full screen with 18:9 aspect ratio. Behold, the OPPO F5! Read on to check out our first impressions!
OPPO F5 specs:
- Octa Core Mediatek MT6763T (Helio P23) processor
- Mali G71 MP2 graphics
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB internal memory expandable via microSD up to 256GB
- 6-inch Full HD IPS LCD display (2160 x 1080 pixels
- 16 megapixel rear facing camera withPDAF and LED flash (f/1.8 aperture
- 20 megapixel front facing camera (f/2.0 aperture)
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 4G/LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth Fingerprint Scanner
- GPS, A-GPS
- 3,200 mAh battery
- Android 7.1 Nougat with ColorOS 3.2
- Price: P15,990
Ports and buttons
- Top – noise cancelling microphone
- Bottom – USB charging port, 3.5mm audio jack, speaker, micrphone
- Left – volume rocker
- Right – power button and SIM card tray
- Back – rear camera with flash and fingerprint scanner
- Front – 6-inch display, front camera, sensors
OPPO made a complete redesign by trimming the bezels resulting to an all screen display. The fingerprint scanner has been moved to the back and there are no capacitive buttons as well.
Aside from the screen, OPPO has also made a highlight on its selfie camera. It is a 20 megapixel sensor with what OPPO calls AI (Artificial Intelligence) beauty recognition technology. To make it simple, it enhances your selfies in a natural and realistic way especially your face.
The rear 16 megapixel camera has an aperture of f/1.8 is very much capable for low light photography. It has a 2x zoom though lacking a second camera for zooming. This means zooming is purely software.
Here are some of our camera samples from both front and rear cameras.
There are minor tweaks here and there in OPPO’s own custom UI ColorOS with a familiar look and feel. Overall performance on our limited time with it is very smooth. It is the first time we encountered Mediatek’s new chipset, the Helio P23.
We want to try more of the OPPO F5’s AI-powered selfie camera. It is a first of its kind. But we are more curious about its overall performance especially its value for money. If you wish to buy it ahead of our review, just go ahead. For now, as of this writing, the OPPO F5 is available for pre-order for P15,990. Full review coming up soon!