Its been a while since we reviewed a Huawei smartphone. Good thing our friends from Huawei Philippines has sent us the Huawei GR5. In the US, it is called the Honor 5X. It is a midrange smartphone with high features like the fingerprint scanner. Let’s unbox it. shall we?
- Octa Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 616 processor
- Adreno 405 graphics
- 2 or 3GB RAM
- 16GB internal memory expandable via MicroSD up to 128GB
- 5.5-inch Full HD IPS LCD display
- 13 megapixel rear facing camera with autofocus and dual LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera
- Fingerprint scanner
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 4G/LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- 3,000 mAh battery
- Android 5.1 Lollipop with EMUI
What’s inside the box?
- Huawei GR5 unit
- USB cable
- Wall adapter
- Back Cover Case
- SIM Card Ejector
We instantly fell in love with the Huawei GR5’s brushed metal and elegant looks. It is such a beautiful smartphone with its unibody design. Huawei has come a long way and especially after Google chose Huawei to make the Google Nexus 6P which is, by the way, one of last year’s best smartphones, many of Huawei’s current offerings has been up the ante when it comes to everything we are all looking for a smartphone. The Huawei GR5 is no exception.
Buttons and ports placements
- Top – 3.5mm headset jack and noise cancelling microphone
- Left – SIM 1 tray and microSD with SIM 2 tray
- Right – Power button and volume rockers
- Bottom – USB charging port and speaker grill
- Back – 13 megapixel camera, fingerprint scanner
- Front – 5.5-inch display, 5 megapixel camera and sensors
For 24 hours since we unboxed it, the Huawei GR5 remains smooth and performs well on basic tasks. We have not installed most of the apps we use everyday and only our social media apps are currently installed. For the next two weeks, we will using the Huawei GR5 as our daily driver. We are excited to test Huawei’s fingerprint scanner which is among the best and how it fares against its direct competitors like the Oppo F1 and Asus Zenfone Selfie.