The camera on a smartphone, whether at the front or back, is the name of the game for smartphone makers. It is indeed one of the main feature that a smartphone buyer considers. We’ve seen Starmobile efforts to offer quality cameras for their affordable smartphones. They were the ones who pioneered a front facing flash on its selfie camera on the Starmobile Muse about two years ago. The trend continues with the Up series. We have here is the Starmobile Up Snap, a camera-centric smartphone selfie and camera lovers. Let’s unbox it and we’ll share our first impressions with it.
Starmobile Up Snap:
- 1.2GHz Quad Core Broadcom BCM23550M processor
- Videocore IV graphics
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB internal storage expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 5-inch FWVGA IPS LCD display (854 x 480 pixels)
- scratch resistant glass
- 8 megapixel Ultrapixel camera with autofocus and LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera with autofocus
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth, USB OTG
- GPS, A-GPS
- 2,900 mAh battery
- Android 4.4 Kitkat
What’s inside the box?
- unit itself
- USB cable
- charger (not included on the photo)
- clear case
- screen protector (already installed on the device)
Looking at the Starmobile Up Snap, it definitely has a clean look. It feels good holding in the hands and it is very solid. We just find it a little hefty and thicker than any smartphones we’ve reviewed. This is probably because of its big 2,900 mAh battery which is a non-removable one. The back cover can be removed that will reveal the regular and the micro SIM card slot and the microSD card slot.
The display has a bright but warm tone on it. It also has good viewing angles too. Navigation and app transitions are basically smooth during our first 24 hours with it.
We will be taking this smartphone for a spin especially on the camera department. Watch out for our full review with video very soon. 🙂