The Starmobile Up HD is one of the three new offerings of local smartphone and gadget maker Starmobile. Priced at P4,990, the Starmobile Up HD is the first smartphone from the UP series with an HD display. We have here the gold variant and let’s unbox it.
Starmobile Up HD:
- 1.3GHz Quad Core Mediatek MT6582 processor
- Mali 400MP graphics
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB internal memory expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 4.7-inch HD IPS LCD display (1280 x 720 pixels) 312 ppi
- 8 megapixel rear facing camera with autofocus, BSI and LED flash
- 5 megapixel front facing camera with flash
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby (Standard + Micro)
- HSPA+, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth
- Miracast ready, Chromecast support
- GPS, A-GPS
- 1,800 mAh battery
- Android 4.4 Kitkat
- SRP: P4,990
- Status: Available on Starmobile stores and kiosks
What’s inside the box?
- unit itself
- USB cable
- hard case cover
- flip cover
- screen protector
Before we go the actual unit, we noticed that Starmobile uses a Nokia-style packaging of their new products. We noticed that from the Knight X, the Up Snap and now on the Up HD. It a pretty nice touch and the box looks elegant looking.
Anyway, when we first saw the Starmobile Up HD and hold it for the first time, it very obvious the the design inspiration came from Apple’s iPhone 6 especially when you look at the phone on many angles. It is easier to hold the phone for long periods of time thanks to its rounded corners and sides.
Button placements – power/lock button and volume rockers on the right, USB charging port and 3.5mm headset jack at the top, dual speakers on the bottom, 8 megapixel camera with flash and a noise reduction microphone at the back, and the front facing 5 megapixel camera with flash, sensors and the 4.7-inch screen at the front.
Basic operation was generally smooth with no noticeable hiccups during our first 12 hours with the unit. Battery seems to be promising, since we have not charge it yet and there’s still battery juice left. We will be doing some tests and use it as our daily driver for a week. Watch out for our full review sometime next week.