Samsung Galaxy S5 is officially out today and we are lucky to be one of the first to own one. Unveiled in February earlier this year, one notable feature is bein water and dust resistant, a feature present in Sony Xperia Z2. Another additional features are the heart rate monitor and the fingerprint scanner. Before we get excited, let’s unbox it first.
Samsung Galaxy S5 specs:
- 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
- 2GB RAM
- 16/32GB internal memory expandable via MicroSD up to 128GB – WOW!!!
- 5.1-inch Full HD Super AMOLED display (1080 x 1920 pixels) 432 ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- IP67 – water and dust resistant
- 16 megapixel rear facing camera with autofocus, image stabilization and LED flash
- 2 megapixel rear facing camera
- LTE, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, DLNA, WIFi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, Infrared Port
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Nano SIM
- 2,800 mAh battery
- Android 4.4 Kitkat
So what’s inside the box? We have here some manuals, USB, headset, extra earbuds, and adapter. Now let’s get focused with the unit itself.
We have the white variant here and we do like it. The S5 has less curves, a bit taller and thinner than its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S5. Samsung has opted to let go of the shiny back cover for a matte dotted design and finish which we really do like.
A bigger screen is a big welcome to from 4.95-inches of the S4, the S5 now has a 5.1-inches. It is still the same beautiful screen we’ve seen from the Galaxy S4 only bigger.
Overall, it is a big improvement when it comes to design alone. Its a good move that Samsung ditched the S4’s shiny back cover in favor for matte finish. We will reserve the Antutu Benchmarks, speed tests, camera and software performance on our full review.