I have reviewed and did short hands on with so many devices already including from various brands but I never had a chance to review anything from Cherry Mobile. Its common knowledge to many what happened to Cherry Mobile years back to those days that they still sell only budget feature phones. Those who owned early models complained of defective units only days after purchase. After sales services sucks as well. That reputation continues to haunt the local manufacturer and still many question the quality and durability of their products including myself.
Cherry Mobile has been very aggressive this year. They have released so many models even twice the number of phone released by local brands MyPhone and Starmobile combined. The biggest celebrities are also endorsing Cherry Mobile – Kim Chiu, John LLoyd Cruz, Willie Revillame, Sarah Geronimo, Anne Curtis and its newest endorser Kris Aquino. Out of curiosity, I decided to buy my first Cherry Mobile smartphone ever – Cherry Mobile Omega HD 2.0. Why not the latest Cosmos line? The Omega HD 2.0 is one of the most praised smartphone from the company this year so I decided to use it as a daily driver for a few days. Why a late review? The Omega HD 2.0 was released sometime last June and most local tech blogs have already reviewed it. Now let’s go on with the review.
Cherry Mobile Omega HD 2.0 specs:
- 1.2GHz Quad Core MediaTek MT6589 processor
- PowerVR SGX 544MP graphics
- 1GB RAM
- 4GB internal memory expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 5 inch IPS HD display (720 x 1280 pixels) 294 ppi
- Asahi Dragon Trail Glass
- 12 megapixel rear facing camera with BSI (back side illumination), autofocus and LED flash
- 2 megapixel front facing camera with BSI (back side illumination)
- HSPA+ WiFi 802.11 b/g/n,WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0
- GPS, A-GPS
- 2,100 mAh battery
- Android 4.2 Jellybean
- SRP: P8,999
- Design and Build Quality – Whenever I get a chance to hold a Cherry Mobile, the materials used for the chassis feels so cheap as if it can break easily. With the Omega HD 2.0, its feels premium and solid. Yes the back cover is still made of plastic but the soft matte finish makes the phone comfortable to hold. The device is also slim at 8.8 mm despite its large 5-inch screen. Because its a solid device, it has some weight into it and itts not a bad thing. In fact, the heft was just right. Definitely impressed with the build quality
- Display – This is probably the best the Omega HD 2.0’s best asset – the screen. The 5-inch IPS HD screen is absolutely stunning! I love watching videos and playing games on this phone because of its very sharp and vibrant screen. Viewing angles on an IPS screen are one of the best compared to other screen types like TFT or AMOLED. Color reproduction is just right. Not too saturated and too washed out.
- Performance – Based on Antutu Benchmark, the Cherry Mobile Omega HD 2.0 scored 13,528. On day to day use, everything was buttery smooth! Navigating through apps, opening, closing and switching apps are lag free. To further test its 1.2 GHz quad core processor and PowerVR SGX 544MP graphics, I download a memory hog and graphic intense game Dead Trigger. Many smartphones even with quad core processors can’t even load this game. Playing Dead Trigger in an HD screen is a one great experience. I even played it for hours thanks to its long battery life.
- Camera – The 12 megapixel camera takes good photos on low light conditions even without flash thanks to its BSI (back side illumination) feature. Photos taken outdoors and indoors with good lighting conditions look good! Photos taken with flash in complete darkness look a little washed out but still acceptable.
- Battery – With normal use, the 2,100 mAh battery lasted for 12 hours but on heavy usage (heavy gaming, watching videos for hours it gave us around 7 hours before the phone ran out of power. Impressive!
Low light with flash
Low light without flash
- Earphone jack – There is only one thing that I dislike on this phone but its not a big issue. When I am using my Coloud Pop Block (click for my review) headset and no sound is coming from the right side. Using the headset included in the package is ok but I still prefer my own headphones.
The Cherry Mobile Omega HD 2.0 has blown me away. It has awesome specs, great camera, stunning screen, lag-free performance for a price of P8,999. What more can I asked for? SULIT! I I hate Cherry Mobile as a brand because of their past reputation. I’ve only used this phone for less than a week but I really fell in love with it. Usually when I have a local branded phone for review I usually keep it for 2 weeks to a month. I think I would keep this phone longer than usual. Indeed, I had a change of heart. My next phone would probably be the Cherry Mobile Cosmos S!